Autumn Feijoa + Walnut Cake
We absolutely love recipes that use as many ingredients as we can find around the orchard and this beautiful cake features both feijoas and walnuts grown here at Old Road Estate. It's a perfect cake for morning or afternoon tea or as a dessert served with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Flesh of 8 small feijoas or 6 medium feijoa
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 apple, grated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 150g butter, softened
- 3 free-range eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 ½ cups ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line and grease a cake tin with baking paper.
- Mash the feijoa flesh, banana and grated apple in a medium-sized bowl with a fork – set aside.
- In a large separate bowl, beat the sugar and butter until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the baking soda to the milk and stir with a fork to dissolve. Add the milk mixture to the fruit and stir to combine.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the sugar and butter mixture and fold in the ground almonds.
- Carefully add the fruit and walnuts to this flour mixture and fold everything together gently.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 30-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.